Of the various companies and programs we’ve seen which work towards helping low-income Americans cross the Digital Divide by providing them inexpensive or even free broadband internet, a company in Kansas named Knology is somewhat of an anomaly. In a good way. A very good way.
Knology has for some time now been offering the financially disadvantaged in Kansas absolutely free high-speed internet. They are not being reimbursed by anyone government body for this, they are simply doing it because they want to give back to the community. Here’ show they explain it:
Knology’s Lifeline Internet service is a voluntary program. Knology receives no subsidy to offset the costs of this service. The reason we offer this service to the citizens living in our service area is because local help agencies reached out to Knology in 2007 saying there was a need and it was not being fulfilled by the current low-income provider who only offered conditional approval for their service offering to low-income families. Knology offers this service without a waiting list or other conditions, beyond the criteria set by the state for Lifeline Telephone Service, to all those who qualify.
Who Gets Free Internet in Kansas?
Knology takes the eligibility requirements of the FCC’s Lifeline Telephone Program, and applies them to applicants in their service areas of Kansas. If a person qualifies under Kansas state and federal guidelines for Lifeline Telephone service, then they qualify for free cable internet from Knology.
You qualify for free Knology high-speed internet if you participate in any of the following assistance programs, or are at or below 150% of the federal poverty level:
- General Assistance
- Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Head Start
- Free School Lunch Program
- Food Distribution program (United Tribes of Kansas and NE Nebraska, Inc.)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Head Start ( only those meeting its income qualifying standard )
Here is a chart showing the income equal to 150% of the Federal Poverty Level:
|Household members /||Income|
So, if you are in Kansas and meet the eligibility requirement, you won’t find a better deal than Knology. And it sounds like you won’t find another vendor who cares as much. If fact, reading their mission statement says a lot about who they are:
- We are honest, fair and evenhanded
- We deliver as promised, professionally and personally.
- We show courtesy, respect and friendliness.
- We work relentlessly as a team.
- We give customer matters urgent attention.
- We take responsibility for problems and are always responsive to customer needs.
- We work hard to make doing business with us easy.”
Sounds good to us.
Knology Lifeline Internet
1 Riverfront Plaza
Lawrence, KS, 66044
785-841-2100 or 800-869-1214
The specific page about the Knology Lifeline-based free internet program is found here: