This isn’t one of the big low-income internet plans that covers dozens of states, but it’s everything you need if you live in Hawaii.
HawaiianTel’s Internet Kokua plan offers steep discounts on internet service for any Hawaiian resident who meets certain qualifications.
Two Kokua Plans
HawaiianTel offers two different plans: One for folks whose homes are served by copper lines and another for those whose homes are served with high-speed fiber. If you don’t know which one applies to you, HawaiianTel will be able to tell you based on your address.
Copper Plan – If your service address is copper-served, you may be eligible to receive High-Speed Internet Basic (up to 7 Mbps download) for $9.95/month, which includes the Wireless Gateway Service Fee.
Fiber Plan – If your service address is fiber-served, you may be eligible to receive High-Speed Internet Extreme (up to 20 Mbps download) for $12.95/month, which includes the Wireless Gateway Service Fee.
The Wireless Gateway Service fee is a one-time Internet activation fee of $29.99 and taxes.
Please keep in mind that internet service not available in all areas and speeds may vary by address. Applicable service terms and conditions apply and subject to change. Here’s a map that gives you a better idea where this service is available:
What documentation will you need?
As you might expect, HawaiianTel requires proof of eligibility in order for you to receive the monthly discount on your bill.
To qualify for the Hawaiian Telcom Internet Kokua Program, please include the following documentation with this application:
Proof of income-based eligibility. Acceptable documentation includes one of the following: Prior year’s State or Federal tax return, prior year’s wage and tax statement or W-2, current income statement from an employer or paycheck stub (3 consecutive months’ worth), a Social Security statement of benefits, VA statement of benefits, retirement/pension statement, or Unemployment/Workmen’s Compensation statement of benefits.
Do you qualify?
Eligibility for the Kokua plan is strictly based on income level. If your income is at or below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines, you qualify. Simple,huh? Here are the actual numbers within which you will be eligible:
Persons in Family Unit Income
1 – $18,846
2 – $25.556
3 – $32,265
4 – $38,974
5 – $45,684
6 – $52,394
7 – $59,103
8 – $65,812
* For each additional person in household, add $6,710.
A couple other rules
The Kokua Plan has a couple other eligibility rules, but nothing to be too concerned about. Here they are:
- If you are currently or have been a Hawaiian Telcom customer within the last year, your service cannot have been suspended for non-payment.
- Neither you nor anyone else in you household can currently be receiving discounts from Hawaiian Telcom’s Internet Kokua Program.
How to apply for the Internet Kokua Plan
It’s really pretty easy. Just follow these simple steps:
- Review the Hawaiian Telcom Internet Kokua Program application form and check to see if you are eligible to receive benefits.
- Complete the Internet Kokua Program application form. Please print clearly and provide accurate information.
- Gather copies of all necessary documentation. Qualification for the program must be verified with supporting documentation.
- Mail the completed form and supporting documents to:
Application & Customer Certification
ATTN: SRC – Lineline Team
1177 Bishop Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
For assistance and more information call 643-3456